Household Support Fund

Posted on:

Are you are aged 65 or over and worried about the rising cost of living, or how you are going to pay for your utility bills? Help and support is available.

Age UK Cambridgeshire & Peterborough and Cambridgeshire County Council are working together to provide support for eligible pensioners (65+) who are struggling with food and fuel bills.

Through the government’s Household Support Fund, they can provide financial support within a few days and help find longer-term support, if needed. Help and advice on how to maximise and manage your finances is also available.

If you know someone that might be in this situation, please do share this information with them.

What is the Household Support Fund?

The Department for Work and Pensions has set aside a pot of money, which has been given to local authorities to support local older people in times of financial hardship. A sum of money will be given to those who are eligible.

The money DOES NOT need to be repaid.

What can the money be used for?

To support purchasing:

  • Food and essential supplies
  • Paying for gas, electricity, oil or water in your home
  • Other essential supplies, such as repairs to your boiler to help keep you and your family warm.
Household Support Fund

Who is eligible?

  • You were born on or before 30 September 1956 (aged 65 or over)
  • You live in Cambridgeshire
  • You are experiencing financial hardship
  • No one under the age of 19 (born after the 30 September 2003), lives with you
  • You earn less than £17,940 per year or are in receipt of one of the following:
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

How to contact & apply

Please call 01223 221929 and ask about the Household Support Fund. Or email:

Alternatively, visit:

Help and advice can also be sought from The Ely Community Hub. This is based at The Lighthouse Centre, 13 Lynn Road, Ely, CB7 4EG. Open every Tuesday between 10am and 1pm.

If you do not have access to a computer or the internet, please do ring us at the surgery if you need help and support. Our social prescriber, Pearl Charalambos, will be able to point you in the right direction. Telephone: 01353 663434, selecting option 1 from the menu.