St Mary’s Surgery aims to provide you with the highest quality healthcare. To do this we must keep records about you, your health and the care or treatment that we have provided for you or plan to provide for you.
These records are your ‘health care record’, and may be stored in paper form or on computer and electronic systems and may include personal data.
What is personal data?
Personal data is information about you, such as:
- Basic details – name, address, date of birth, NHS number, contact details, next of kin, etc.
- Sensitive personal data – details about contact we have had with you, eg clinical visits, notes and reports about your health, records about any treatment and care you have received, and test results, eg blood tests or x-rays.
As a healthcare provider, St Mary’s Surgery is permitted to collect, store, use and share this information under Data Protection Legislation, which has a specific section related to healthcare data.
Here are some examples of what we do with your information
- Refer you to other healthcare providers when you need other services or tests
- Share samples with laboratories for testing (eg blood samples)
- Share test results with hospitals or community services
- Allow out of hours GPs or clinicians to look at your health record when you have an appointment
- Send prescriptions to a pharmacy
- Share reports with a coroner
- Receive reports of appointments you have attended elsewhere, such as with the community nurse, or if you have stayed in hospital.
What else do we do with your information?
As well as activities related directly to your care, we also use information in ways which allow us to check that care is safe and provide data for the improvement and planning of services.
The surgery is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a Data Controller and our registration number is Z7309438.
St Mary’s surgery takes your privacy very seriously. If you have any questions or concerns in relation to the way we manage your personal information, please contact the Practice Manager.