Mental health

All the doctors and nurses at St Mary’s are trained to listen well and respond if patients present with mental health issues. Many problems can be dealt with either by ourselves or by signposting patients and families to local resources. Families with children can access locality Children’s Centres.

We have two in our practice area: the larger centre is at High Barns, Ely CB7 4RB. There is a smaller centre based at St John’s Scout Hut, St John’s Road, Ely CB6 3BW. You can find details of the timetable of activities by clicking on this link Our linked health visitors, who support families with children under the age of five, are based at The Princess of Wales Hospital (01353 652070).

We don’t have a surgery-employed counsellor. We recommend that you look at the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) website to find a counsellor or therapist. Some local charities such as RELATE and CRUSE can provide subsidised rates for those on lower income.

Click here to see a  list of contact numbers and websites that you may find helpful. 

The Cambridge & Peterborough Mental Health Trust provides mental health services for those who need more specialised help. Referral for these services needs to be made by a health professional, such as a GP. The services are provided in the following categories:

  • Adult Services (age 18-65)
  • Older People’s Services (age 65+)
  • Child & Adolescent Services (up to age 17)
  • IAPT (Increasing Access to Psychological Therapies) & Liaison Psychiatry Services
  • Learning Disability
  • Prison Services. 

The Keep Your Head website includes a range of information for people of all ages who want information on looking after their mental health and how they can help themselves to feel better. If you feel you need more support Keep Your Head includes information about local and national services that can help.