Fit to work notes

Seven days off sick or less

If you are off work sick for 7 days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you have been ill. Instead, they can ask you to confirm that you have been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is known as self-certification.

If your employer does not have a form and you need to claim statutory sick pay (SSP), you can complete an SC2 form here. You can also collect an SC2 form from the surgery, which you give to your employer when completed.

More than seven days off sick

If you are off sick for more than 7 days, your employer will usually ask for a fit note / sick certificate from a GP or hospital doctor. Fit notes are sometimes referred to as medical statements or a doctor’s note.

If you think you need a fit note from the surgery, please contact us via askmyGP.

Find out more about NHS fit notes.