When a doctor or nurse arranges for a test to be taken the patient will be informed how to obtain the result.
The type of test done will dictate how long your result takes to come back to us. The person who takes the test can normally advise you how long your test result will take to come back. If you have been referred to a hospital consultant, they will inform you of the outcome.
Please note that we will only contact you to tell you about your test results for one of the following reasons:
1. The test needs to be repeated again for some reason
2. You need to start or change treatment as a result of the test result
3. There is a problem with the result that we need to talk to you about so you need to see the doctor.
If your test result is normal – we will not contact you – this is because of the large volume of tests we undertake each week.
You can access your test results via SystmOnline. Please note you have to be registered for detailed coded access on SystmOnline to see results. Patients are unable to see their test results via askmyGP.
How long will my results take?
- blood tests – 5 working days unless otherwise advised
- x-ray – 2-3 weeks
- urine test – 5 working days
- biopsy – 8 weeks
- smear test – 8 weeks (these results are sent directly to the patient).