Temporary registration

If you are away from home and need to see a GP, you can contact any GP surgery close by.

You can receive emergency treatment from a GP surgery for up to 14 days – for example, if you fall ill while on holiday. Please note there may be a charge for some overseas visitors.

If your treatment is likely to last longer than 14 days, you’ll be asked to register at the practice, either as a temporary or permanent resident.

You can register temporarily with a GP surgery while away from your main home for work, study or on holiday. This means you will remain registered with your permanent GP surgery.

You can register as a temporary resident if you’re in the area for longer than 24 hours and up to three months. After three months, you will have to apply to register with that surgery as a permanent resident.

The temporary GP surgery will pass details of any treatment you have to your permanent GP surgery. They will add the information to your medical records.

How do I register as a temporary patient?

  • find a GP near where you are staying or living
  • ask at the surgery for a temporary resident form or download and complete a GMS3 form
  • once you have completed the forms, please scan or take a photo of them and email them to the surgery. Or you can bring your completed forms to the surgery along with your proof of identity for verification.

What information do I need?

Try to have the following information with you when you see a temporary GP for the first time:

  • details of any medical conditions you have
  • details of medical conditions you’ve had in the past
  • the name of any medicines you’re currently taking
  • details of anything you’re allergic to
  • contact details for your permanent or previous GP surgery
  • your NHS number.