Same day urgent or emergency prescriptions are requests for medication which a patient needs within 24 hours to prevent them from becoming severely ill.
Same day urgent or emergency prescriptions requests are NOT requests for medication which has been ordered late, or which should have been collected from a hospital pharmacy following clinic or discharge.
Emergency medication is normally ONLY the following:
- antianginal – GTN sprays, beta blockers
- anticoagulants – apixaba, dabigatran, edoxaban, rivaroxaban, warfarin
- emergency contraception
- emerade, epipen, jext for severe allergic reactions
- epilepsy medication
- inhalers (reliever type / blue inhaler)
- insulin-based medications
- prednisolone (long term)
- medications for palliative care patients.
Emergency prescriptions are ONLY available for collection from St Mary’s dispensary between 5.30-6.00pm.